Monday, October 29, 2012

Hope For The Homeless: Day 1 - Trial, Error, & Preparation

Today didn't exactly go as I'd planned it in my head. However, I did get the preparation completed, as well as the process planned out for when I interview participants for this project. Tomorrow I will try again, this time in the morning. Tonight I tried after the sun had gone down.... and I admit, it was extra creepy.



I did ask one woman if she was interested in being interviewed. I briefly explained the project, and she responded through the few teeth she had, "No, you see, I work for a corporation."

This threw me for a loop as I stared to her right at the pile of garbage bags that held her belongings, and the plastic cup she'd been shaking with change inside it. Her clothes were clearly dirty, as well as her body, and I don't think she works for a corporation at all.

I called my mom, because that's what I do when I don't know what else to do, and she said to try again in the morning when at least it is light out and less scary. She also pointed out that while the woman most likely does not work for a corporation, she very well could believe she does in her head. This reminds me that many of the homeless people we see are far off into their own imaginations, living based on daydreams that they convince themselves to be their realities. Many are sick, mentally and psychologically, and I will have to seek those who are capable of communicating for this to be a success.

Tomorrow is a new day. Tonight I will work on the signs, and I already have my first collaged money jar ready for the first featured participant. I understand it might not be as easy as I had imagined. It will take a lot of guts for people to admit to being homeless... as I'm sure it's not something they are proud of by any means.

Here's to hoping that tomorrow is a much better attempt. But for what it is worth, today has been great in the way that preparation is now complete, and I am equipped with all of the supplies I will need.

For The Love Of Words,

X0.Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment